Thursday, November 27, 2008

Chinese tinplate prices nosedive

Percy Schneider, 271108: I am subscribed to your weekly Newsletter Tin in the News. I am acting as a business consultant for a tin can maker in Lima, Peru. My client is quite concerned about tinplate prices for 2009. I have followed strictly current trends and your words and comments. Sounds like we are facing a buyer´s market.

For your information, prices in China has dropped dramatically in the last 2 weeks. From my readings, most of the 8 big tinplate (ETP sheets) chinese suppliers, are decreasing prices of about US$ 100 per MT each week. We refer to end user tinplate sheets. Moreover, on November 21st, Chinese Council has eliminated some export taxes on specific steel and tin products in order to reactivate exports due domestic market has plunged a little bit. 

Peter, my 64,000 dollar question will be how deep tinplate sheet market could go down ???? Eager to have your keen comments.

Percy Schneider
Business Consultant
Lima, Peru
Telephone: + 51 1 264 3270
Email: pejurajo@gmail.com

No comments: